Blog Comment Policy
This is a moderated space. As such, I try to follow some basic blog etiquette in creating a safer space to comment for my readers. But please be aware that these comments are public and the site holds no legal responsibility for what you say. In that vein, please keep the following in mind.
Ban Worthy Offenses
- Rape apologism, abuse apologism, rhetoric that demonstrates a lack of willingness to protect survivors.
- Triggering jokes about rape, assault, and other violence.
- Ad hominem attacks.
- Gendered, homophobic, racist, and transphobic slurs. Actually, any slurs.
I will not edit your comments in any way - if they are problematic enough, I will simply delete them. I may edit in a trigger warning but that is the extent of editing that will happen on the moderator's end. I say this because editing comments is all too often a method that makes it so easy to skew the debate by forcing other commenters to have my interpretation of a comment. Comments that are simply deleted carry much less chance for skewed narratives.
Not Ban Worthy But Annoying Nonetheless
- Please don't tone police. I don't care if I "sounded angry" or another commenter seems to be "hysterical" - such an argument is useless.
- Derailing - asking about men when we're discussing women; telling us that you're "not like that;" asking people to educate you on various topics. Often, I and other commenters only have so much energy and time in a day and get tired of explaining things over and over and over. Google is your friend.
- Saying "I don't believe you" in response to someone telling you their experience, especially if your reasoning for not believing them is "it wasn't like that for me."
- REALLY LONG COMMENTS. Seriously, if you're passing 600 words, go write a response post on your blog. I do read those!
Additionally, as the brilliant Captain Awkward put it in her comment policy (and which I’ve reprinted here with permission):
Having your comment deleted or being asked to stop commenting in a particular thread or to move on from a topic of discussion is IN NO WAY an invitation for you to send me lengthy emails detailing your thoughts. If I wanted to read Your Thoughts I would have let you keep posting them.
So basically, don't be a jerk, and we'll get along.